Sunday, November 29, 2015

Turkey Leftovers = Deliciousness Indeed!

Happy Turkey Day!

I didn't do anything for Thanksgiving but sleep in and the do a quick trip to Walmart for Rice so I could work on my  Natural Therapy Packs and HyVee for Ice Melt which I had forgotten that I was almost out of. With today's rain, ice and snow its definitely going to be needed

Lately I've been hungry for a good potato soup. However since I am Dairy, Whey & Soy intolerant I haven't really been able to make up a pot of creamy Potato Soup in a very very long time.

Today I found a recipe on  Simply Recipes for a scrumptious Potato Leek Soup. It's Dairy free & Gluten Free if you watch your labels on your spices. And it's creamy!

Today I will share a few tips for making this delightful soup. It is very easy - I just didn't have all the ingredients the recipe called for and had to make a few substitutions. If you are a beginning cook this would be a great recipe for you.

Tips:
1) I used 2 Tb margarine and 1/2 package of Mirepoix Blend which is a recipe starter mix I get from Bakers. It's a combination of onion, celery & carrots. Saute them till onion is translucent.
2) The recipe calls for russet or Yukon gold potatoes which I did not have. I used small red potatoes. Peel and quarter them & add them to the pot. At this point I like to stir & coat them in the butter.
3) I added 2 good pinches of Poultry Seasoning. I didn't have marjoram or thyme and both are in the Poultry Seasoning.
4) Bring to a boil and then simmer 20 min or till the potatoes are cooked thru. Mine were firm but soft if that makes sense.
5) The recipe doesn't call for meat. I added 3 slices (or about 1 cup) of smoked turkey that I had cubed. These were small slices I bought from the Deli Kitchen at HyVee. I don't usually like smoked meats but this was wonderful in the soup. Ham would be really good in the soup as well. If you use smoked meat DO NOT add any salt as asked in the original recipe. It will be way to salty then. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.

That's it. I served it w buttermilk biscuits - and I ate almost 2 full bowls. YUM!

 Original Recipe 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi friends! Leave your family friendly comments below and if you are a new follower please leave your blog address (if you have one) so I can follow back! Thanks so much! Tina