Most of you know my passion is literacy starting with toddlers and going all the way through the middle grade years. I personally am a visual person and I tend to be that way when reading to my kids - pointing out details in the pictures, pointing to the letters & words and discussing what we are seeing & hearing throughout the story. THAT is what impresses me with interactive notebooks for the younger crowd. Carson Dellosa Publishing has a book that fits that need beautifully:
Teachers will find Carson Dellosa's Interactive Notebook forKindergartners (it can be easily adjusted to PreK as well) is very easy to learn how & get ideas for implementing this technique with their kids.
Benefits to the Teacher:
1) Explains what an interactive notebook is.
2) How to get started, what type of notebook to use.
3) How to organize it and plan for the year & how to grade them.
4) Reproducibles are found at the end of the book: Tabs, KWL Chart, Pockets, Shutter Folds, Flap Books & Flaps, Petal Folds, Accordion Folds, Clamshell Fold, Puzzle Pieces and how to make a Flip Book. Children will use their cutting skills, coloring and decorating skills to prepare these pieces to make their own Interactive Notebooks.
5) Provides a Copyright that includes permission to print worksheets for a classroom.
Benefits to the kids:
Kids become active participants in what they are learning through coloring, placement, visualizing the concept or lesson & being creative by utilizing flaps, pockets, folded papers, puzzles, flip books & personalizing their books. Best of all they also LOVE to return to their books & show them to friends & parents and verbalize what they've learned. This helps them retain what they've learned and succeed in future lessons. This is a very important BENEFIT in the learning process.
Kids will learn & review:
Upper & Lowercase letters A-Z, Matching upper/lower case letters, Vowel Sounds, Word Families, Sight Words, Nouns, Verbs, Plural Nouns, Antonyms, Sorting Objects, Writing a Sentence, Using Capital Letters & Punctuation. They also learn the various parts of a book, Setting, Characters, Sequencing, Picture Predictions & the difference between Fiction and Nonfiction. All of this is very important for a solid foundation in reading and writing.
You can purchase your own copy of Interactive Notebooks on the Carson Dellosa Website HERE. It is available for Kindergarten through 5th grade Teachers as a paperback ($9.99) or an ebook ($6.99) however the techniques can be used through High School. Here is a video that explains it in more depth:
Linked up @:
1) The Sits Girls Hop
2) Create w Joy
4) My Turn for Us
5) A Books & More