Tuesday, February 22, 2011

WHAT am I eating?

Photobucket  

Do you know what your kids are eating when they sit down at school for lunch?  Here's a pop quiz:


What is? 
A. Enriched corn meal (Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Thiamin MonoNitrate, Riboflavin and Folic Acid), Corn and/or Sunflower Oil, Whey, Salt, Cheddar Cheese (Cultured Milk, Salt and Enzymes), and less than 2% of the following: Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil or Canola Oil, Maltodextrin, Disodium Phosphate, Artificial Flavor, 


How about?
B.  ”whey, milkfat, milk protein concentrate, salt, sodium tripolyphosphate, contains less than 2% of citric acid, sodium phosphate, lactic acid, milk, calcium phosphate, yellow 5, yellow 6, cheese culture, enzymes.


Or? 
C.  Enriched Wheat Flour - enriched with ferrous sulphate (iron), B vitamins (niacin, thiamine mononitrate [B1], ribofavin [B12] and folic acid). Sugar, Corn syrup, Water, High fructose corn syrup, Vegetable and/or animal shortening - containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed or canola oil, and beef fat. Dextrose, Whole eggs.  2% of less of: Modified corn starch, Cellulose gum, Whey, Leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), Salt, Cornstarch, Corn flour, Corn syrup solids, Mono and diglycerides, Soy lecithin, Polysorbate 60, Dextrin, Calcium caseinate, Sodium stearol lactylate, Wheat gluten, Calcium sulphate, Natural and artificial flavours, Caramel colour, Sorbic acid (to retain freshness), Colour added (yellow 5, red 40).


Why do parents bring this kind of food into the house?  I'm sure a lot of it's easy, convenient, the kid's like it or because it reminds us of when WE were kids and it NEVER hurt us!  I know I have a tendency to buy something that I'm craving and WANT just because my taste buds & mind is saying that it will taste SO good.  Of course after I have it I always think "that just didn't taste like I thought it would".



I know that what I put in my mouth and therefore my body affects me with how I'm feeling throughout the day.  If I eat the type of stuff above I'm more achy, tired, irritable and get easily frustrated.  But if I eat High Quality food (veggies, fruit, meat) and less empty nutrition type foods I will feel so much better.  Have you noticed that?


The foods that you and your family eat directly affect your health. A fruit and vegetable home garden provides assurance that your food has been grown and handled without toxic chemical input. When you grow your own organic fruits and vegetables, you'll be making a positive change that can reduce your risk of cancer and other chronic diseases. 



Cultivating Healthy Lifestyles
The key advantage of eating organically is having the peace of mind that the food you're preparing for your family is pure, no artificial flavors or colors, no hydrogenated fats, and no sweeteners or preservatives. Organic foods can be more nutritious and tasty. They are richer in vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids than non-organic foods. 

In about a week or so I will be posting a review of a new website called GroOrganic which enables anyone, young and old, new or experienced, to grow an organic garden. You can grow your garden whether you are a family or a single person like me who only has a small balcony, patio or plot - you too can grow High Quality Nutritious food with a minimum of work.

GroOrganic provides an economical way for you to grow organic vegetables and fruit.  They can help you install and maintain your garden, show you how and when to plant your seeds or plants, and provide emails to tell you what to do and how to do it.  They also have a wonderful online software program for you to plan your garden.  You can print it out, lay out which veggies and fruits you want, it'll tell you what and how many plants you need and even print out a list for you to take to your nursery.

I'm really looking forward to this review as I want to do either a square foot garden in a raised bed (maybe 4' x 2'?).  With Fibromyalgia setting into my back I have trouble standing for long so I'm going to be working with GroOrganic to get suggestions and ideas for this to be beneficial and comfortable for me.  Did I mention that they will help me with consulting and helping me set it up?  Stay tuned for my review. 



Answer Key:  A (Cheetos), B (Oreos), C (Twinkie)



2 comments:

  1. Hopping in off the train. Happy Tuesday. Following via GFC.

    BK

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new follower from Tuesday Train. Happy blog hop.

    You can visit here

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends! Leave your family friendly comments below and if you are a new follower please leave your blog address (if you have one) so I can follow back! Thanks so much! Tina