Saturday, October 30, 2010

Grandma Deboer's Banana Bread

Grandma Deboer was actually my Great Grandma and she was known for her cooking.  She had "the touch" and taught many of her grandkids how to cook.  The kids would go over to her house and she would teach them many of the cooking skills her mother taught her and so we still have many of her recipes and "the touch" is still alive and well.  Here is her Banana Bread recipe which I am guessing is well over 50 years old.  She was the chef for the Miller and Paine store in Lincoln Nebraska probably throughout the 40's - 60's maybe (I'm really guessing there, but she's been gone since I was like 9 and I'm in my 40's so that's probably about right).

Grandma Deboer's Banana Bread:
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter/margarine
2 cups flour
2 eggs
3 bananas, very ripe and crushed
1 tsp soda
1/2 cup nuts

Cream your sugar and butter together.  Add the eggs and beat well.  Add bananas (be sure they are real ripe).  Sift flour, soda, and salt.  Add to creamed mixture.  Add nuts.  Put in well greased loaf pan.  Bake 1 hour at 350.  Makes 1 loaf.  The riper the bananas the better the bread.  Bake till done but don't overbake. Makes a wonderfully moist bread.  Be sure to let the loaf pan sit for about 5 minutes after baking before you try to remove the loaf or the bottom will come out all broken up.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining Read My Feed Weekends!! I'm following you with my Google Reader

    www.mamalovesherbargains.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bread sounds delicious! I love banana bread anytime, anywhere! Thanks for sharing!
    Following from Free Hot Samples Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Harvest For Tomorrow and for adding my button! I am your newest follower! And I may try this banana bread recipe! Yummy! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should try it without the sugar - I make a very similar cupcake that's diabetic-friendly and I swear, you'll never miss it!

    Anyhoo, dropping by from the Read My Feed Hop! I'm all subscribed, and if you'd like to visit my blog it's on the list (CanContests.com). Thanks, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! Looks good! We LOVE banana bread at my house :)

    Thanks for linking up to last week's What's Cooking Wednesday!

    Be sure to stop by and link up some more great recipes!

    http://notsohomemade.blogspot.com/2010/11/from-scratch-pumpkin-pie-1110-whats.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so great that you have your grandmother's recipes to pass down and remember her by.

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends! Leave your family friendly comments below and if you are a new follower please leave your blog address (if you have one) so I can follow back! Thanks so much! Tina