Monday, December 24, 2018

Handmade Christmas Idea - O Holy Night

Every year I struggle with coming up with Christmas ideas for the family. It's like this:  

1) I like to match gifts to each persons personality and since I only see my brother & sister 1-2 times a year that gets hard. And of course my sisters kiddo's are growing up and kind of outgrowing the old book presents I've given them for the last 13-14 years. Their interests are changing and becoming more focussed and it's hard to match those interests without knowing them.

2) Money is tight and the family is getting bigger - altho it actually hasn't grown much physically.  And the men in the family (namely brother & brother-in-law) are notoriously hard to shop for (I've threatened them with a paper sack if they don't give me ideas).  

3) This year instead of doing a gift for each adult in the family I decided to do a gift for each couple but I had a requirement. It had to be quick and easy - between my day-care and my NaturalTherapyPacks business I'm working 18 hours a day and I'm exhausted and my time is at a premium. I needed to be able to do it half asleep lol.   Anyway,  I thought some of you might be interested in a quick, fun craft for a last minute gift.

O Holy Night picture

Materials needed:
* Wooden plaque: I used #SCH-299 from Sierra Pacific Crafts which is appr 14 3/4" x 14 3/4".
* Peace on Earth scrapbook page (on right) from the O Holy Night series from SimpleStories.com (this is discontinued but you might find it at your favorite scrapbooking or craft shop)
* Paints: I combined the following paints. It wasn't perfect but I wanted to get as close to the red ink on the paper and I got no where near it. I ended up with a very dark red black color. I used: Americana Alizarin Crimson and Apple Barrel Jet Black Matte Acrylic Paint.
* Sandpaper
* Sponge brushes (the cheap ones)
* Mod Podge Gloss #CS11205
* optional: coffee grounds or dark tea to create wash. This would be nice on a red or maybe a light wash. I did not do this step. It was suggested by one of the artists who work at the craft store I shopped at.

Super Simple Instructions:
~ I began by sanding down the wooden frame and then painting it then I wanted it again and let it dry.
~ Then I glued the picture to the frame and put several coats of mod podge gloss over the top
~ That's it. Super simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi friends! Leave your family friendly comments below and if you are a new follower please leave your blog address (if you have one) so I can follow back! Thanks so much! Tina