Monday, May 28, 2012

What's in my crock pot....

The summer has already started - 95 degrees this last week already! Ugh. I've decided to make things easy on me and my electricity bill (which is already going to be very high thanks to the heat) and I will be doing a lot of crock pot cooking. 

I thought I'd share my favorite links with you for crock pot recipes and also a great recipe I make quite a bit. Be sure to share your favorite recipe in the comments if you'd like or tell me your favorite crock pot recipe if you have one.  


A Year of Slow Cooking was started by Stephanie o'Dea a few years ago when she set out to see if she could cook her family healthy, nutritious and yummy meals everyday for a year. She succeeded and has been doing it ever since.

A Year of Slow Cooking has evolved from your regular cooking blog to a business for her (congrats Stephanie!) and she now has 2 cookbooks to her name along with a great blog packed full of delicious crock pot meals, desserts and more for us to all enjoy!

Today I have in my Crock Pot a slight variation of Stephanie's Old Fashioned Pot Roast (I'm looking forward to a juicy roast tonight!). I didn't have all of her ingredients - so here's my version:

Old Fashioned Pot Roast
1 # beef chuck roast (I'm not a big meat eater - love me some potatoes/carrots!)
1 teaspoon salt
Several turns of the pepper grinder
A good shaking of garlic powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped in big pieces
4 medium potatoes, cut into 2" chunks
1/3 bag of baby carrots
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Cup of water (I didn't have beef broth)

Brown the roast in a skillet and olive oil (I probably used about 3 Tablespoons/once around the pan). While browning I cut up the potatoes, dumped in the carrots, added the meat when browned and then chopped up 1/2 a onion and put that on top. I then added the seasonings, Worcestershire Sauce and poured about 1 cup of water over all.

Set your crock pot to cook 6 hours (I have a 6 qt crock pot that is programmable) and then let it roast away. After 6 hours if your meat falls apart it's definitely done if not give it a couple more hours or so. 

I like this tip on A Year of Slow Cooking:

"A dry roast isn't from over slow cooking, 
it's from under slow cooking!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi friends! Leave your family friendly comments below and if you are a new follower please leave your blog address (if you have one) so I can follow back! Thanks so much! Tina