Saturday, March 10, 2012

A little gardening fun....


Every year I plan on starting some kind of little garden where I can grow some peas, lettuce and green beans and I have actually done it in the past at another apartment I used to live in.
Urban Survival Gardening

I used a 5 gallon bucket (like a paint bucket), punched several holes in the bottom with a hammer & screwdriver, filled it with soil and seeds and kept it on our back patio. That year I planted those beans and peas and those did pretty well. I also planted some cherry tomatoes since I wasn't sure how the larger type of tomatoes would do. I think I got 1 lonely tomato! We got a couple of gallon type bags of each of the peas and beans. I did that 2 years in a row.

This year, I'm thinking about doing something like this:

Post image for How to Turn a Pallet into a Garden

I love all the flowers and herbs - but what I'd really like to do is grow lettuce down one side (or at least in 2-3 of the slats) as well as herbs in 2-3 of them. Or maybe even some strawberries (possibly in the bottom half) with the lettuce (in top couple of rows) & herbs along the top..

Any ideas of what kinds of veggies - other than onions, lettuce and herbs - could be grown in this thing?

I'm thinking if you took and made 2 pouches from the top (on each side) using the landscape fabric on the inside and looping it down 2-3 rows you could even grown some tomatoes and or other bigger type veggies like carrots, cukes, maybe even potatoes - but I think I would do at least a double layer of fabric for the pouch for the heavier veggies for sturdiness since the veggies & dirt will be quite heavy.

Watch for a little photo diary of it this summer - just gotta find a pallet or two first - and then figure out if it's warm enough to plant lettuce & strawberries first.


fruit dividers Pictures, Images and Photos

1 comment:

  1. Hello! :)
    Have you already picked a winner for the Celtic Woman CD giveaway? :)
    I just wondered who had won it!

    Kindly,
    Katy

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends! Leave your family friendly comments below and if you are a new follower please leave your blog address (if you have one) so I can follow back! Thanks so much! Tina