Thursday, January 26, 2012

Taxes & Savings.... (Review & Giveaway)

Jackson Hewitt Tax Service Logo

I took a vacation day from work to get my taxes done. Usually I do my own taxes but since I had 2 W2's and a 1099 from Federal Unemployment I didn't want to do them myself and I wanted to get back the maximum amount that I could. So after I took my phone in to Walmart to be looked at I decided to stop by Jackson Hewitt and check out prices and how long it would take to get them figured up.

Jackson Hewitt is a FULL service - year round Tax Preparation Company. 

It's been so long since I've had anyone prepare them for me I didn't realize I would need my social security card but other than that I had everything else with me. Elissa took about 1/2 hour to figure out my taxes and even stayed about 10 minutes past her shift ending to finish up and walk me through all the pages I needed to sign. 

What to Take With You: 
Save time and money by going to your tax interview prepared with all the documents you need.
  • Bring your W2's, bank statement showing any interest you've accrued this year (this usually comes in January from your bank).
  • Bring any investment and retirement year end statements you might have showing interest, growth, etc.
  • Unemployment Documents (1099 - will be sent by your states Dept of Labor)
  • Self-employment business income and expenses/1099-MISC.
  • Alimony & Child Support income (this includes foster care kids).
  • Medical & Dental Care expenses (you have to spend a lot to receive this benefit).
  • Job related education & job search records.
  • Record of sale or purchase of a residence.
  • Statement on the sale of stocks or bonds (1088-B)
  • Interest and dividend income /1099-INT/1099-DIV
  • Lottery or Gambling Winnings/Losses
  • Last year's Federal and State tax return  & State Refund Amount
  • Child care expenses and provider information
  • Educator expenses
  • Cash and non-cash charitable donations
  • Casualty or theft losses
  • Real estate and personal property taxes
  • Driver's licenses, Social Security cards & Birthdate's of all members of the family (you & your spouse and all dependents
  • Dependents' Social Security numbers and dates of birth
  • For those of you that are new and don't have any deductions you can have the 1040EZ form w/ up to 2 W2's. 
  • If you have more than 2 W2's and an unemployment (1099) form you can still use the 1040EZ form but there is a $58 charge for that. 
  • If your taxes are more detailed, you have deductions, children or are filing jointly you won't be able to use the 1040EZ and the charge is a little higher (I didn't need this so I didn't see the price).

Savings & Giveaway!

Elissa gave me a bunch of coupons for $15 off to use for a giveaway on GivingNSharing. If you'd like to WIN one of the 10 coupons I get to give away be sure to enter. I'd love it if you told your friends too - If you end up using your coupon - you will get $15 off and I will get $15 for referring you to Jackson Hewitt. That will pay off my tax expense this year and help me get that Kindle Fire I want. =D

a Rafflecopter giveaway


  1. Hubby usually does our taxes Not sure why he is just strange that way said its no ones business. I don't think a tax person would go and blab but you know men lol.


Hi friends! Leave your family friendly comments below and if you are a new follower please leave your blog address (if you have one) so I can follow back! Thanks so much! Tina