Sunday, October 24, 2010

Mediterranean Bean Soup by the Cookin' Canuck

I have been craving this soup this whole weekend.  I have a nice pot bubblin' on my stove right now and will be making up some cornbread to go with it.  I had some KFC grilled chicken breast in the fridge and shredded that up and added it to the soup.  I didn't have any of the Ditallini pasta so I used some of my penne.  It's kind of big for this soup but should taste fine.  This is one soup that I make at least once a month although I've never added the chicken in the past.  I have made it with mushrooms or with broccoli.  There is a lot of flavor in it and it always touches the spot.  Enjoy!


Mediterranean Chicken, Bean & Pasta Soup
http://cookincanuck.blogspot.com/2010/09/mediterranean-chicken-bean-pasta-soup.html
2 tsp olive oil
1 large shallot, minced
2 medium carrots, cut into thin half-circles
2 large celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 can (28 oz.) whole tomatoes, finely chopped, including juices
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 bay leaves
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup ditalini (small, short pasta tubes)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
Grated Parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium-high heat. Add shallot, carrots, and celery. Saute until the vegetables are beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.

Add chopped tomatoes with juices, chicken broth, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low, partially cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Uncover the soup, remove the bay leaves, add cooked chicken, beans, and pasta. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook until the pasta is al dente, about 10 minutes.

Season with salt and pepper, add 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley and 8 leaves fresh basil, thinly sliced. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese. Serve.

Serves 6 to 8.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a delicious, hearty soup. I always like a little pasta in my soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Lisa and Wacki (LOL) this is such a good soup. You'll love it. It's pretty versatile - I've also seen it with kidney beans but I think the cannellini beans are perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe! New follower from Social Parade!

    Beki
    http://mymodernguide.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The recipe sounds delicous!
    New follower from SP, hope you can stop by and follow back.
    Also, I wanted to invite you to stop by my blog and link up for "Feed Me Friday" Blog Hop

    http://chalkboardstostrollers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends! Leave your family friendly comments below and if you are a new follower please leave your blog address (if you have one) so I can follow back! Thanks so much! Tina