Sunday, September 26, 2010

Chicken Potato Soup

Many thanks goes to Inspiring You to Save for featuring both of my blogs this week on her Blog Hop.  I have so enjoyed getting to know each of you and I look forward to all of the new friends I will be making.  If you follow my blog, please besure to leave a comment and add your blog address so I can follow you back.  Thanks!  Tina "The Book Lady"

Ends 9/30, US & CA!




I received a nice big box for an upcoming review and giveaway in November and I'm afraid I was unable to wait to start reviewing these wonderful spices. I really have been hungry for a bowl of potato soup - I like mine with lots of potatoes, chicken, whatever veggies I happen to have in the fridge (usually mixed veggies) and full of savory spiciness.


Spice Hunter sent me a sample of their Fresh at Hand * Spring Salad Mix to try. I had wanted to try them but was trying NOT to be greedy with my requests to review for them. What a nice surprise!


Picked at the peak of freshness, Fresh at Hand herbs and vegetables are immediately washed and cut before being flash-frozen and vacuum dried, removing the moisture while retaining virtually all of the essential oil content. This flash-freezing process ensures that nearly 100% of the original colors, aroma and flavor are instantly preserved. When used during cooking or when combined with water, Fresh at Hand products re-hydrate instantly, unlocking fresh, tantalizing aromas, vivid colors and full flavors, adding a level of flavor and freshness that had previously only been available in fresh-picked herbs.




Chicken Potato Soup
Loosely Based on this recipe: Original Recipe I had to make some changes due to the fact I have issues with dairy and also I really wanted to try these new seasonings from The Spice Hunter.  Note: I halved the recipe.  So, here is my Chicken Potato Soup recipe:


1 1/2 T butter
2 T Spice Hunters Fresh at Hand Spring Salad Mix
32 oz Organic Chick Broth
2 large russet (baking) potatoes, (peeled and diced) 
1 large chicken breast, (cooked, shredded, about 1/2# to 1#)
6 oz of Birdseye Steamfresh Mixed Vegetables, steamed (or whatever other veggies you want to use)


In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter and add Spice Hunters Spring Salad Mix; stir to combine.  Immediately stir in the chicken broth. Add potatoes (add water if needed to barely cover potatoes), bring to a boil and reduce to a medium boil and cook until potatoes are tender (about 20-25 minutes). Add the chicken and whatever veggies you'd like and bring to a low boil and continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


Note: I never add salt when I'm cooking and I found this to be plenty salty (almost to much).  If you are like me, you may want to cut the Spice Hunters Spring Salad Mix to 1 Tablespoon and then adjust from there.  This made about 4 servings.  Just right for little ole me.  I was wishing for biscuits w/ Strawberry Jelly to go with this, so you may want to make some.




When I went to their website, I noticed they are having a really good sale on FREE Shipping w/ a $25 order.  They do have Gift Sets and they are really well priced, so you might consider doing some early Christmas Shopping and purchase some of the spices for your own kitchen while you're at it.  Be sure to check your current spice collection and then go to their Track Freshness page to see how to know if it's time to replace what you have. 

9 comments:

  1. Yum that looks sooooo good, especially with the weather turning cool here this weekend!

    Come over for a visit at the farm. We are crazy busy right now cutting beans and picking corn.

    www.walkingtheoff-beatenpath.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I'm your newest follower from Meet Me Monday. The soup looks wonderful! I host a healthy food blog carnival on Fridays, I'd love to see you there. :)

    Hope you can stop by and say hi:

    http://www.gethealthycheap.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am your newest follower thanks to Making Friends Monday. Can you please follow me back?

    http://airforcewifeandmommytwo.blogspot.com/2010/09/meet-me-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now following from Meet Me Monday....love your blog & love Usborne books!
    Blessings to you,
    Jill @ Sweet Diva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for joining in Mailbox Monday! I'm an email subscriber.

    www.mamalovesherbargains.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love LOVE soups! And I'm starving right now so I'll HAVE to try this! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm your newest Saturday follower! Would love for you to visit me at Mom of all Trades when you get a chance :) I'm also following you on Twitter as @momof_alltrades.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a chef by profession. As a part of my profession, I have observed that, people tend to have junk food, especially between 6p.m to 8 p.m ,which is the most inappropriate time to have junk food. It has adverse effects on the digestion system, and increases weight. Knorr has introduced a new concept that is Soup at 7.Soup is nutritious mid time snack. It satisfies hunger and at the same time acts as an apetizer. Knorr has different variety of soups. So why not try one of them for today’s snack?

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends! Leave your family friendly comments below and if you are a new follower please leave your blog address (if you have one) so I can follow back! Thanks so much! Tina